Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Sugar Daddy - Lisa Kleypas

Description~

Liberty Jones grew up in trailer-park poverty in rural Texas, the child of a widowed mother with a mysterious past and a current string of no-good boyfriends. But young Liberty is smart, determined and willing to work hard to make her dreams come true. She’s inexplicably drawn to Hardy Cates, the boy down the street who forever claimed her heart at age 13. But he too has ambitions, and they take him out of town and away from Liberty. Soon alone and with a young sister to raise, Liberty finds herself in the big city, slowly growing up and piecing her life together. In her 20s, she comes into contact with an extremely wealthy businessman, Gage Travis, who some call her sugar daddy. Their relationship is more intense than many believe, however, and it comes with emotionally dangerous complications. When Hardy, now a rich and powerful man in his own right, re-enters the picture as an enemy of the Travis family, Liberty is forced to consider both her past and her future before making the most difficult choice of her life.

One word...AMAZING!

We start out our story meeting young Liberty Jones. Liberty, her mother, and her mothers boyfriend live in a small trailer park in Texas. Liberty soon falls for Hardy, the seventeen year old bad boy who is so driven to leave his poverty stricken life that he can't return his true feelings. Years later Hardy has left the trailer park and Liberty finds herself raising her younger sister with no means to do so. Finally getting her life together she gets a great job in the city as a beautician. There is where she meets her "Sugar Daddy" Churchill Travis. Moving into his house to be an assistant Liberty falls in love...but with a different Travis. Right when things are going right an old friend comes to town. Hardy is back...its a classic story of "The one who got away" vs. "The Now". Who will Liberty choose???

Lots of people in the blogging community have recommended Lisa Kleypas. Being new to reading I am ALWAYS up try try out new authors. BOY AM I GLAD I DID! I had a conversation with a girl from work who just started this book and already she has it right on the nose..."This woman writes, and you feel like your right then and there". LK is ridiculously descriptive and spot on in her writing. This may sound funny to you and maybe you don't agree (which is totally ok) but I compare her writing to Stephanie Meyer. These women have a natural gift of painting a picture so that you feel as if your watching the scene right in front of you. Here's an example.

I only have a hand full of memories of my father, more like impressions. He must have carried me on his shoulders a time or two-I remember the hard plane of his chest beneath my calves, the sensation of swaying high in the air, anchored by the strong pressure of his fingers around my ankles. And the coarse drifts of his hair in my hands, shiny black hair cut in layers. I can almost hear his voice singing "Arriba del Cielo," a Mexican lullaby that always gave me sweet dreams.

This story brought you through Liberty's trails and tribulations of raising a child, trying to live off of a very small income and managing a love life. Liberty tries to uncover her mothers secret past and finds out there has been more than meets the eye. This book was truly amazing and I can't to read the rest of the series! So for all of you lovely ladies who recommended LK's Sugar Daddy...YOUR MY FAVS!!!! ;o)

I give this book a total of...




PS. Yes I got my eBook reader and am loving it so far. Ill write about it soon in my weekly 'Oh And By The Way' post. OH!!! And I have a New Kids On The Block concert tomorrow night!!!!! WOOHOO! (Yep they are great and REALLY HOTT!) LMAO 8th ROW BABY!

***Off to read Fantasy Lover By Sherrilyn Kenyon...wish me luck!

<3monroe

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

YAY! 5 Stars! So happy you enjoyed it. Have fun at the NKOTB concert and enjoy Fantasy Lover!

June 3, 2009 at 7:29 PM
Monroe Dawson said...

Barbara-
How could I not go with 5 stars?!?! :o) Wasn't this book the best?!?!? Oh and thanks I will have fun, this is my second time seeing them within 12mths! lol

June 3, 2009 at 7:39 PM
Cindy W said...

Have fun seeing NKOTB! That was my first concert! I liked Fantasy Lover, I think you will too!

One of my favorite scenes comes in the first chapter or 2 of BED! It's emotional, but very good, but Jack Travis in Smooth Talking Stranger is my fave!

June 4, 2009 at 4:26 AM
Monroe Dawson said...

Cindy W-
They were my first concert too! I CAN NOT WAIT to read the 2nd and 3rd books but IDK if I like the idea of Hardy with Haven (whats their age difference?)...BUT I know LK will make it wonderful! I never would've thought I wanted SD to end like it did but I was SOOO HAPPY! lol

June 4, 2009 at 4:45 AM
Isabel said...

We told you it was good. Ok.. Hardy or Gage?

June 4, 2009 at 7:33 AM
Monroe Dawson said...

Iz-
Well I was 100% Hardy in the beginning, and even after he left my heart ached when she would think about him, but then Gage was so sweet once they started to be together! Then Hardy came back and at first I was like OMG YAY...then I got this weird feeling from him and knew I wanted Gage still! lol I'm really iffy about Blue Eyed devil...him with Haven...IDK. Is that book better than SD??? MAN I LOVED THIS BOOK! lol

June 4, 2009 at 8:18 AM
Kristie (J) said...

While I simply ADORED Sugar Daddy, I found Blue Eyed Devil even better. So you are in for another wonderful reading experience when you read that one.

June 7, 2009 at 4:33 AM
Monroe Dawson said...

Kristie-
I adored it too! I CAN NOT WAIT until I read Blue Eyed Devil...if it tops SD...WOW Ill be amazed!

June 7, 2009 at 5:19 PM
Rowena said...

Alright, I read your answer to Izzy's question but I didn't see your answer. So I'm gonna ask again; Gage or Hardy? Your answer confused me so answer it again. LOL.

I heart both guys but my favoritest favorite hero from this series is JACK TRAVIS!

June 8, 2009 at 9:33 PM
Monroe Dawson said...

Wena-
What you didn't like my very on-the-fence answer? lol Its hard to choose. Hardy disappointed me there at the end so that was upsetting...but if I had to choose one. Sheesh that's hard. I think its Gage even though I have a soft spot for Hardy. I just dont know how I feel about him being with someone else though...like I think I may get jealous that hes after another girl and not Liberty even though shes with Gage now! lol IDK, is Liberty in Blue Eyed Devil ANY???

June 9, 2009 at 3:18 AM
Nicole McLaughlin said...

Gage, Gage!! But i cant WAIT for Blue Eyed Devil. I'm picking it up from the library tomorrow. I'm sort of nervous about the thought of Hardy falling for someone else. We shall see!! Love your blog!

June 17, 2009 at 7:19 PM
Monroe Dawson said...

Nicole-
Ya I JUST bought BED this past weekend and CAN NOT WAIT to read it. Even though I'm 100% Gage I am nervous of Hardy falling for someone else too! lol Thanks for the kind words and coming by! Come on back soon! :o)

June 17, 2009 at 7:29 PM