Sunday, June 14, 2009

Slightly Married - Mary Balogh

Description~

Having promised a dying officer that he'll protect the man's sister "no matter what," Col. Aidan Bedwyn calls on Eve Morris to offer his condolences and aid. Still in mourning over the death of her coal miner father a year earlier, Eve now stands to be turned out onto the street due to a peculiar condition of her father's will. Only by marrying can she save her home, which she shares with several orphans, an impoverished aunt and a staff composed mainly of outcasts. Ever one to honor his promises, Aidan proposes, and Eve accepts. The two plan to separate after saying their vows, but Aidan's eldest brother, the Duke of Bewcastle, insists that Eve be presented to the queen. To Aidan's amazement, Eve proves she has the mettle to stand up to his haughty family.

Ok i wanna make this quick because I was really excited about this book and it kinda let me down...

We open up the story meeting Col. Adian Bedwyn. Walking around the battlefield after war has died down he comes upon a man named Percy Morris that saved his very life years ago. Percy's dieing wish is that Adian go to his only sibling and deliver the bad news of his death and protect her from whats to come. Bedwyn agrees and soon sets off to find Eve Morris, Percys sister. Eve doesn't take the news well and refuses Adains help. She finds out though that she will loose her land that houses not only her but her two adopted children and servants that are her only familyleft, if she doesn't marry. Adian, never being one to shy away from duty offers his hand to Eve and she reluctantly accepts it. They planned on parting forever but when Adains brother steps in everything goes out the back door. Adains brother wants Eve to be presented to the Queen and accept her cuties and Adians wife. Can Eve take on the ton...let alone the Queen?!?! And what about Adians family, the Bedwyns? Will Adian fall for the one woman he never thought would awaken his heart?

Ok this is a REALLY good story line but it pretty much fell flat. I REALLY considered NOT finishing this book. I hate that i feel this way because i really enjoyed her other book I read which was 'First Comes Marriage'. to me there just wasn't enough content to the storyline. MB spent too much time describing the surroundings or what the character was feeling to really pay attention to the story. Now some might say..."Those two things are very important in a good book" and i agree with you BUT if you do it so much that it almost feels like you pull out of the story that's just not good.

I enjoyed the relationship with Eve and Adian and the ending was sweet, but I really felt like they couldve done without a lot that was in the story and put more interaction between the two. I really enjoyed seeing Adian with Eve's kids. Theres just something about a man with children that's just warming but I mean honestly you can probably tell I'm really trying to pick out so good points to a not-so-good book.

I WILL read the second book because I believe she is worth it and sometimes in a series the first book is the weak length but after that no more second chances on the series.

Overall this book wasn't something I would recommend and I hope she redeems herself in Slightly Wicked...has anyone out there read these books??? Can I get some in-sight?

PS- Off to read the 2nd Dark Hunter book Night Pleasures by Sherrilyn Kenyon...hope it lifts my down in the dumps spirits :o/


I give this book a total of...

6 comments:

~ames~ said...

I'm sorry this one didn't work out for you. :( I read one of these "slightly" books a few years ago and I really enjoyed it. Are you still going to read this author?

June 14, 2009 at 7:52 PM
Monroe Dawson said...

Ames-
Which one did you read? Yes I will continue to read her, in fact (I forgot to tell you) we went to B&N this past weekend in Atl and i bought the 2nd Huxtable series book and i bought Blue Eyed Devil! Ill try another Slightly book of hers and hopefully it will be better!

June 14, 2009 at 7:55 PM
Tia said...

Well I'm sorry that this book was sucky-poo. Good review. Reading Kyrian and all of his hot sex will def cheer you up. I've got your must read list ready. It's like 3 pages long...because I didn't want to make a mess by digging through all of my books to get more titles. These are my absolute faves. I'll email it to you. I read Blue Eyed Devil and couldn't get into it...I don't know...Everybody else I've talked to has loved it. So go for it. I'm the odd man out. And you liked her first one in this series...but you really need to read the next BDB too.

June 14, 2009 at 8:12 PM
Monroe Dawson said...

Tia-
Ya I loved Sugar Daddy and we will see about BED! I REALLY want to read the next BDB book and so far the 2nd DH book is awesome! Weee! lol

June 14, 2009 at 8:26 PM
Tia said...

Yeah. And I think Kyrian is definitely better looking than the guy on his cover. I mean. The guy is okay but Kyrian is WAAAY more than okay.

June 14, 2009 at 9:11 PM
Monroe Dawson said...

Tia-
Youre crazy! lol

June 15, 2009 at 5:34 PM