Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Dreaming of You - Lisa Kleypas

Description~

She stood at peril's threshold --
then love beckoned her in…

A prim, well-bred gentlewoman, Sara Fielding is a writer who puts pen to paper to create dreams. But now curiosity is luring her from the shelter of her country cottage into the dangerous world of Derek Craven -- handsome, tough, and tenacious -- and the most exciting man Sara has ever met.

Derek rose from poverty to become the wealthy lord of London's most exclusive gambling house. And now duty demands that he allow Sara Fielding to enter his perilous realm of ever-shifting fortunes -- with her impeccable manners and her infuriating innocence. But there is a hidden strength and sensuality to the lady that captivates him beyond his better judgment. And in this world, where danger lurks behind every shadow, even a proper “mouse” can be transformed into a breathtaking enchantress -- and a cynical gambler can be shaken to his core by the power of passion and the promise of love.

Let me get this out real quick...I LOVE THIS BOOOOOOKKKKKK!!!! Wow ok I feel better...man this book is simply breathtaking! I can honestly say it has fallen under the "My All Time Fav's" category. Epp! ;o)

Ok, so you meet Sarah. She is the prim and proper virgin author who is researching her newest book about prostitution and gambling. And what better way to do it than go straight to the source...?!?! Sara decides to go to a very popular gambling club ran by the devil himself...Derek Craven. Mr. Craven lived a life of prostitution, thievery and lying as a young boy and had climbed his way to the top only to still fall short by his peers. When the two meet its obvious there is something there but 1) Sara is ALMOST engaged to a gentlemen back home and 2) Derek wants nothing to do with love. Will these two get over their hurtles to be together or will their differences rip them apart?

HOLY SMOKES I LOVED THIS BOOK<3<3<3 LK is the bestest writer out there. lol I mean everything of hers I've been picking up is GOLD!

Derek...oh Derek and that wounded little heart of yours. Derek has such a big heart, yet hes one of those guys who totally put of that front! I really loved how he was a total man whore but loved Sara and her innocence SO MUCH that he refused to ruin her. I hate to claim Derek as a boyfriend of mine (sorry Iz) but I gotta! The man is WONDERFUL...once he let down his shield he was the perfect man! I kept thinking "Ok I'm sure he's going to mess up and then Sara will have to forgive him"...but OMG he was perfect!

Oh and how I loved Sara. What an innocent little mouse! lol I loved how she was so sheltered yet she wasn't judgmental of the differences of others. Even when it was a totally questionable person. And I loved the part in the story where she asked for a kiss from Derek for "research purposes" lol!!! Ya right sweetie!

One really great thing about this story is that no stone was left unturned. Every little issue that came up was solved. Perry, her returning home to her family, Joyce...even the characters from the first book, Lily and Alex. You didn't feel like you were left in the dark or that the author quickly wrote a resolution to any part of the story. Everything was well written and thought out.

GOOOD Snib bit...

"Promise me you won't cut your hair"

Sara couldn't believe he was being so ridiculous. "If I did, it would grow back."

"Promise." he insisted.

"Does my appearance mean so much to you?"

"It's not that. It's...I like to watch you braid it...and the way you let a few curls fall on your neck after you've pinned it up...and when you brush it out at night I know I'm the only man who sees it loose and long over your back. It's a part of you that only I can have."

...REALLY..OMG...*sigh...ok go get the dang book already...what are you waiting for?!?

I give this book a total of...



Ok guys off to read Smooth Talking Stranger...I'm sure another great by LK! :o)

<3monroe

30 comments:

~ames~ said...

Yay! I'm so glad you enjoyed this one too Monroe.

But now I'm worried - we're recommending all these awesome books for you to read right off the bat - what are you gonna have left to read? LOL

My favorite scene was when he pockets her glasses, and then later she feels them in his pocket. Awww!

June 30, 2009 at 8:10 PM
Monroe Dawson said...

Ames-
OMG I KNOW...it melted my dang heart! He just wanted a little piece of her that he felt he could never obtain! :*) Ya I'm a bit worried about that one too...hopefully there's enough great books out there to last me a while! lol

June 30, 2009 at 8:16 PM
Lori said...

I loved at the end, when he thinks she's died in the fire. You can just feel how heartbroken he is. Loveloveloved it. If you're dying for another perfect LK historical, you must read Worth Any Price. Then tell me that Derek is still your favorite.

BTW, you picked a great scene to quote. Derek's awesome. Read Worth Any Price. Nick's even better.

June 30, 2009 at 8:26 PM
Monroe Dawson said...

Lori-
This Nick is even better...oh my! I dont have that book yet but Ill have to go get it! I love LK! Isnt she just great!?!?

June 30, 2009 at 8:35 PM
Tia said...

This is next on my list...then TTW. I'm gonna be sooo upset if you don't read my favorite Monroe. Sooo upset. Actually I'm not going to start TTW until you have it listed on this blog as your current read. Once it's there you'll HAVE to read it b/c you HATE to change your books. HAH!

Good review! And you didn't have a sexual snib bit! High five. You do have a heart you little nympho! (wink) ((((hugs)))

June 30, 2009 at 11:01 PM
Abbey said...

Monroe. :D Hello. I'm leaving you a comment. I think you're realllllllly funny. And you're always sooooooooo happy and hyper too. I don't really have anything to say, just stopping by to show ya some loooove, suga.

Peace. :)

July 1, 2009 at 12:58 AM
Maija said...

You've read some fabulous books recently (Kleypas, Chase, Kenyon)!!! I haven't read this one even though I've heard only good things. And now your review too... I really must buy it!

July 1, 2009 at 1:06 AM
Monroe Dawson said...

Tia-
Well dont you know me all too well. Youre right I do hate to change my books. lol Ill Read your Hot Ice...promise. I know...no sexual snib bit...BUT let me tell you there WERE PLENTY I couldve chose from. lol

Abbey-
Hey you! Thanks for stopping by! Me hyper...no way! ;o) And funny... totally unintentional! lol

Maja P-
YOUVE GOTTA READ THIS ONE!!! Oh and ya I have these little book fairies that tell me what to read! They always put me in the right direction! ;o)

July 1, 2009 at 3:22 AM
Cindy W said...

I must move this one up in the tbr pile! I only got Darkfever free in the Sony store today, but there are a bunch of 1.99 reads! Great review!

July 1, 2009 at 4:03 AM
KT Grant said...

Derek must be one of the most beloved heroes in all of romance. How can you not melt when Sara finds out that Derek keeps her glasses in his pocket?

July 1, 2009 at 4:42 AM
nath said...

LOL, I need to re-read this one. So glad that you enjoyed it :) Man, you got all those great recommendations :P Did Kristie nag you a lot for this one? :P

July 1, 2009 at 5:30 AM
Stacy~ said...

Just one of many, many reasons to love LK. Sigh, now I wish I had this book with me to re-read so I could melt all over again. How could anyone not, with the way Derek loves his Sara? It's so sweet and wonderful.

July 1, 2009 at 5:34 AM
Mandi said...

I LOVED this book. Lisa Kleypas is such a good author.

He kept her glasses in his pocket!! So sweet!

July 1, 2009 at 6:10 AM
Monroe Dawson said...

Cindy-
Yes read it!!! Hey reviews are super easy to do when its a great book!

KB-
He is in my book girl! And yes...the glasses *sigh...:*)

Nath-
Hmmm...Im not sure if Kristie told me to read this but MANY have! Its truly a book noone should pass up.

Stacy-
Oh I melted through this entire book! I REALLY LOVE THIS BOOK! lol And LK ROCKS!

Mandi-
LK has become one of my absolute fav authors! You cant go wrong reading anything shes touched!

July 1, 2009 at 8:40 AM
Isabel said...

Another one of my favorites. Sigh... Derek Craven is just yummy.

July 1, 2009 at 8:41 AM
Monroe Dawson said...

Iz-
OH YES HE IS! Im so glad I listened to yall and read this book!

July 1, 2009 at 8:42 AM
Rowena said...

Sweetie, you're welcome. =P

July 1, 2009 at 12:22 PM
Monroe Dawson said...

Wean-
lol Yall never steer me wrong!

July 1, 2009 at 12:25 PM
Kristie (J) said...

Aaaaaaahhhhh - so good to add you to the Cravenator club!!! Isn't he great?? I read this one years ago and it became and stayed one of my all time favourite books evah!! I don't know if you were visiting back when we did the Great North and South Crusade about the BBC series North and South - NOT TO BE CONFUSED WITH THE PATRICK SWAYZE MINI-SERIES - wherein Lisa Kleypas herself compared the hero of that movie to Derek Craven but if you didn't, here's a link:
http://kristiej.blogspot.com/2007/11/great-north-and-south-crusade_29.html

July 2, 2009 at 4:10 AM
Tracy said...

I think I have this one but haven't read it. Your review makes me want to run out and get it! lol I love that little tid bit you posted - wow!

July 2, 2009 at 4:27 PM
Cindy W said...

Monroe, I'll let you borrow my copy of North and South if you want!

July 2, 2009 at 5:12 PM
Monroe Dawson said...

Tracy-
YES...GO GET IT...then tell me what you think. even if its a month from now. I like to chit chat about books all the time. Even if its a while after I've read them!

Cindy-
HECK YES GIRL! Send it my way...ASAP! Email me!

July 2, 2009 at 10:15 PM
Anonymous said...

I LOVED Derek!! He was one of those heroes that completely capture your heart!!

July 3, 2009 at 9:37 AM
Monkey Bear Reviews said...

This is one of my fave Lisa Kleypas books. Your review makes me want to re-read it!

July 3, 2009 at 1:44 PM
Monroe Dawson said...

Barbabra-
I <3 Derek!!! Ya hes an all time fav!

Money Bear
Really i made you want to reread it!?!?! Awesome! its easy to do awesome reviews on awesome books! ;o)

July 3, 2009 at 4:13 PM
sybil said...

The imporant question would be have you read Devil in Winter? If not, when you do it will replace your all time fave Lisa Kleypas novel ;)

July 3, 2009 at 10:10 PM
~ames~ said...

Don't listen to sybil - Derek is #1. LOL

July 3, 2009 at 10:27 PM
Monroe Dawson said...

Sybil-
IDK...Derek is probably up there in my top...3 men! LOVE HIM! He is such a tender man. :*) BUT I do need to take you up on that book! Ill put it in my TBR pile.

Ames-
Girl he would have to be one HELL of a man to top Derek. Have you read this book Sybil is talking about?

July 4, 2009 at 9:26 AM
Kristie (J) said...

ROTFL!!! I see Sybil has been here. Just ignore her comment on Sebastian. Derek rules! Sebastian is good - don`t get me wrong - but Derek is better *evil grin* We`ve been having this `discussion`on who is better for a while now - heh heh heh.

July 6, 2009 at 5:44 PM
Monroe Dawson said...

Kristie-
I DO find it hard that someone could top Derek...but then again I'll just have to read Sebastian's book to find out wont I? ;o)

July 6, 2009 at 8:52 PM