Monday, June 22, 2009

Lord of Scoundrels - Loretta Chase

Description~

Tough minded Jessica Trent's sole intention is to free her nitwit brother from the destructive influence of Sebastian ballister, the notorious Marquess of Dain. She never expects to desire the arrogant, amoral cad. And when Daines reciprocal passion places them in a scandalously compromising, and public, position, Jessica is left with no choice but to seek satisfaction...Dawn the minx for tempting him, kissing him...and then for forcing him to salvage reputation! Lord Dain can't wait to put the infuriating bluestocking in her place -- and in some amorous position. And if this means marriage, so be it -- though Sebastian is less than certain he can continue to remain aloof...and steal his heart to the sensuous, head strong lady's considerable charms.

Alright I know everyone has been waiting to hear what I have to say about this book because obviously everyone is in LOVE with it...well...SO AM I!!!! L-O-V-E-D I-T! How could you not?!? It was like head to head full on combat with such a great love story between the two to make your toes curl!

Ok the gist of the story here is you meet Dain, he had a horribly rough childhood that left him heartless...well to everyone on the outside that is. Then you meet Jess...smart, funny and VERY ballsy! Jess goes to stay with her half witted brother Bertie so she can stop the bad and influential Lord Dain from running poor Bertie into the poor house. As Jess is introduced to Dain attraction is lit from both sides BUT neither can get past the bullheadedness of the other. After being in each others company for a while the two start to give into each others hidden desires.When they do they get caught in a VERY compromising position. The only way to set things right is for the two to wed. Can this marriage work? Can Dain find it in his heart to open up to Jess and let her love him?

Ok I really liked this book.

One of the first things that got me was Dains childhood...seriously it broke my heart! The poor kid! I don't think that anyone didn't want to give that boy a hug after his momma left him! :*(

I also loved how from the very start Dain was so drawn to Jess. No woman had really done that to him and here she comes strolling into his life and he can't seem to understand his fixation on her! Normally Dain was used to nothing that would make him feel. He had his fair share of prostitutes (which I didn't enjoy) but honestly it fit the story well. It made total scene for a man who hid his feelings to rely on the type of "love" that could just be thrown away when finished.

I think my favorite part (and I'm sure all would agree) was when the two would fight! lol They seem to always be head to head in some sort of battle! *SPOILER HIGHLIGHT* ***When Jess came into that bar or whatever it was and freaking SHOT Dain I almost keeled over! OMG I think I emailed at least 2 people RIGHT then and was like OMG that HAS to be Dain dreaming right?!?! And alls they did was laugh! lol I thought FOR SURE he would wake up...but NOPE lol ***

Heres a snib bit for ya...and if you haven't read the book maybe this won't seem like a good snib bit for you BUT if you have your heart melted into hearing Dain say this! PS this kinda is a spoiler so if you haven't read it you might not want to. (Although from what I hear there aren't many who haven't ;o)

"So much for hoping I could surprise you," she said. He laughed "You have been surprising me, Jess, since the day I met you. Every time I turn around, something goes off in my face. If it isn't an obscene watch or a rare icon, it's a pistol-or my tragically misunderstood mother-or my hellion son. There have been times I've been convinced I didn't marry a female, but a incendiary device. This at least makes sense."

Awww...I really loved that part, it's like he just opened right up for her! :o) Ok if you haven't read this what...WHAT ARE YOU WAITING AROUND FOR? GO GET IT!

Oh PS *HIGHLIGHT FOR THIS PART*** I did wish however that his son was in it a bit longer...idk I just do! lol***

Ok and off to read Night Embrace (3rd Dark Hunter book)...I KNOW I KNOW...Im a bit obsessed right now! lol

I give this book a total of...



<3monroe

23 comments:

Tia said...

So now that I've finished the Lakeside Cottage book that I was supposed to be pacing myself on to keep me from finishing Night Embrace waaaaay early. I'm going to read this book. I'm going to start right now.

June 22, 2009 at 6:05 PM
Monroe Dawson said...

Tia-
Cool you won't be sorry hun! Let me know what you think...oooo...tomorrow b/c thats when I'm sure youll finish! You speed demon! lol

June 22, 2009 at 6:08 PM
Anonymous said...

Eeek! Five stars!! I had to skim. It's in my TBR and I don't want to ruin any of it. OOOh I'm excited about reading it!!!

June 22, 2009 at 7:58 PM
Monroe Dawson said...

Barbara-
Its a great book...I don't do a lot of spoilers! So your pretty safe to read it except don't read the snib bit! lol

June 22, 2009 at 8:00 PM
Lori said...

Barbara? You have never read this? Srsly? OMGosh!! You HAVE to read it! The you have to read Lord Perfect immediately after. She writes the smartest, most intelligent, most adult characters ever. The banter is unbelievable. Dain is the perfect wounded soul. And Jess is the perfect one to heal him. She rocks. And I usually hate heroines.

I'm so glad you liked it, Monroe!

June 22, 2009 at 8:45 PM
Monroe Dawson said...

Lori-
Thanks! I have to agree they were perfect for eachother!

June 22, 2009 at 8:47 PM
~ames~ said...

I'm so glad you read this and that you loved it! Wasn't this just the bestest? LOL Loretta Chase is one of my fave authors ever.

June 22, 2009 at 9:40 PM
Anonymous said...

LOL!! Yeah, Lori. I know, I'm a sad sad excuse for a historical romance lover, lol.

June 22, 2009 at 9:41 PM
Isabel said...

I'm rereading this now. I'm at the part where they are getting married. Sigh.. I love this book.

June 22, 2009 at 9:48 PM
Maija said...

I read it this spring and loved it. I was only annoyed that I didn't read it earlier. It's so amazing!

June 23, 2009 at 1:11 AM
Monroe Dawson said...

Ames-
Thanks for telling me to read this girl! Youre the bestest! lol

Iz-
I loved when they got married! And when he kissed her like really big and they mentioned an old wpman passed out! lol Good stuff!

Maija-
lol Ya I never knew about this book but Im a little newer in the historicals. Im SO glad I read this book!

June 23, 2009 at 3:12 AM
Tracy said...

Oh I just love this book. The h/h are just so perfect for each other and so perfect together! Glad you enjoyed it.

June 23, 2009 at 9:43 AM
Monroe Dawson said...

Tracy-
They are perfect or each other! Perfect to heal each others wounds!

June 23, 2009 at 4:33 PM
VampFanGirl said...

Great review Monroe. LOS is the romance novel of romance novels. I need to take it down for a re-read. Seriously.

And Loretta Chase's brilliance doesn't end there. She's an amazing author and I've loved everything that I've ever read by her. She's a safe bet for a good read.

;) VFG

June 23, 2009 at 4:55 PM
Monroe Dawson said...

Vamp Grl-
Really?!?! This is the only book I've read from her...so what other books of hers are great guys???

June 23, 2009 at 4:58 PM
Rowena said...

YAY, another winner! You are reading all of my favorite books (duh that would be because I'm telling you to read them) but gosh, reading your blog is taking one of those wistful walks down memory lane, I just kept reading your review and nodding my head all along.

Great stuff, this was such a great book and aren't you glad you read it now?

June 26, 2009 at 12:57 PM
Monroe Dawson said...

Wena-
LOL Keep em' comin' girl! Im taking all the recommendations I can get b/c my readings are turning out great lately! VERY GLAD I READ THIS BOOK! ;o)

June 27, 2009 at 8:42 AM
Kristie (J) said...

Monroe: Glad you loved it and now you can see why it's considered a classic in the romance genre. There are SO MANY wonderful magical scenes in this book and the back and forth between Jessica and Dain is just the best! I've read most of her books but none quite match this one for pure enjoyment and great characters.

June 27, 2009 at 3:08 PM
Monroe Dawson said...

Kristie J-
Yes I do really see why its a classic! This is my first Loretta Chase book and I was so glad I read it...what other books are good of hers?

June 27, 2009 at 6:43 PM
Mandi said...

I just read this book a few months ago. I'm not sure how I let it go unread for so long.

When Dain was slowly unbuttoning her gloves...sigh. Fav moment. Don't Tempt Me, which comes out this Tues is getting really good reviews.

June 28, 2009 at 7:11 PM
Monroe Dawson said...

Mandi-
Oh really?!?! Ill have to check that one out! YES I loved how such a simple gesture as unbuttoning her glove turn into something that made your blood run wild through your veins! I was panting by the end! lol

June 28, 2009 at 7:15 PM
Lori said...

Oh. The glove scene. Sigh. I quoted that one in my review. Yum.

If you're looking for other LC books, try Lord Perfect. It seriously rocks. As much as this one. IMO, anyway.

July 7, 2009 at 4:37 PM
Monroe Dawson said...

Lori-
I dont believe I have that one but I will have to get it i loved this book so much! Thx for the heads up girl!

July 7, 2009 at 4:38 PM