Saturday, June 27, 2009

Night Embrace (Dark-Hunter, Book 3) - Sherrilyn Kenyon

Description~

Life is great for me. I have my chicory coffee, my warm beignets and my best friend on the cell phone. Once the sun goes down, I am the baddest thing prowling the night: I command the elements, and I know no fear. For centuries, I’ve protected the innocent and watched over mankind, making sure they are safe in a world where nothing is ever certain. All I want in return is a hot babe in a red dress, who wants nothing more from me than one night.Instead, I get a runaway Mardi Gras float that tries to turn me into roadkill and a beautiful woman who saves my life, but can't remember where she put my pants. Flamboyant and extravagant, Sunshine Runningwolf should be the perfect women for me. She wants nothing past tonight, no ties, no long-term commitments.But every time I look at her, I start yearning for dreams that I buried centuries ago. With her unconventional ways and ability to baffle me, Sunshine is the one person I find myself needing. But for me to love her would mean her death. I am cursed never to know peace or happiness-- not so long as my enemy waits in the night to destroy us both. ~Talon of the Morrigantes

Here we meet Talon. He has a horrible past like all the Dark Hunters. Being cursed by a powerful God, Talon has lost every love in his life. Seeking vengeance for his losses, he agrees to become a Dark Hunter. Centuries later Talon meets eccentric painter Sunshine. Sunshine is captivated by Talon, but after one day of sexual pleasure she is ready to part ways. Talon is unsure of why he just cant seem to shake Sunshine from his mind. Later finding out Sunshine holds something very dear to him he makes a promise not to relive the past. And when a certain God shows his ugly face again Talon finds everything he fear most slipping away. He must save Sunshine...unlike last time.

Ok...I DID like this book...please don't get me wrong.

I loved how Talon was basically this man whore running around sleeping with anything that walked and then he meets his match. Sunshine! She was totally an independent girl that didn't take crap from noone. She was fine with the "hit it and quit it" rule. This made Talon twitch in the story and I LOVED THAT! lol He had never experienced that with any other woman. So that alone made the story interesting.

I thought his past was totally heart wrenching! Like most the Dark Hunter stories when sucked into the past you felt for all people involved. He lost SO MUCH love in this story and it really shaped him as a character. It made you understand more of why he didn't mind being with women so freely.

WHAT BOTHERED ME WAS...

Nothing BIG I guess but one thing was how you're starting to see the similarities in the stories. A pattern...now this wouldn't stop me from reading the books...at all. One example of what I mean is how you learn of their pasts. Its ALWAYS in a dream and the other person always has the dream with them. I wish SK could figure out a way to change that part up...and maybe she has, maybe I haven't gotten to those books yet. IDK

And my main issue (and why the book got some marks) was the ending kinda fell flat for me. Without giving anything away Ill say this...there were at least....what 5-7 Gods there, it was totally chaotic and there really wasn't "fighting" going on. It was a bunch of bickering between siblings basically. It just didn't live up to the ending I know it could have had.

Otherwise I did enjoy this book. Talon was HAWT and Sunshine was a strong gal. Would I recommend this book, yes...would I re-read it...ehhh...maybe...maybe not.


I give this book a total of...




*Off to read Dreaming of You by Lisa Kleypas

<3monroe

13 comments:

Tia said...

You didn't tell me you finished this you harlot!

I see your point with the whole finding out about the past thing. I'm trying to remember if there is any variation on that front. I know with Z, you find out in a dream. Vane, you sorta go into his mind, with him. Like remembering, and he discusses it. Wren you experience his past first hand. And with Ash the entire first part of the book takes place when he is human, so you're actually PRESENT for that one. I can't really remember how the DH's pasts work out in the rest of the books right off the top of my head. Sorry bunny! :)

June 27, 2009 at 10:48 AM
Kristie (J) said...

That's one of the things that has kept me from continuing this series - it's kind of the same story over and over again. At first they are great but then it becomes a bit too repetitious. And then they are focused too much on the characters in upcoming books and not enough on the book in question. Plus I know MANY will disagree with me - but I was so over Acheron long before it came to his story.
But I am waiting to see what you think of DoY - and whether or not you will become a Cravenator - heh heh heh!!!

June 27, 2009 at 3:15 PM
Monroe Dawson said...

Tia-
Ok...so it KIND sounds like MAYBE theres some variations?!?! MAYBE!?!?!? lol

Kristie J-
Im excited about reading DOY b/c so many peeps are telling me its good! Yay!

June 27, 2009 at 6:38 PM
~ames~ said...

Hmm...maybe you should space them out further? LOL

Sunshine made this book for me - I love how she totally throws him for a loop!

June 27, 2009 at 6:51 PM
Monroe Dawson said...

Ames-
Maybe I should space them out further...maybe every 3 books instead of 2...lol. I LOVED SUNSHINE! :o)

June 27, 2009 at 7:02 PM
Mandi said...

Oh Talon...how I lurve you. He was the first dark hunter I fell in love with. I liked Sunshine too!

Very nice review!!

I found you through Amy:)

June 28, 2009 at 6:02 PM
Monroe Dawson said...

Mandi-
THANKS GIRL! Ya I love my Dark Hunters! lol And please stop by more often!!!

June 28, 2009 at 6:04 PM
Cindy W said...

I gave this book a 3, and it's my least favorite. Now, Dance of the Devil is next, Z's story, and it's a FAVORITE for me. I think it was just the story, but maybe picking up a book or 2 in between would be good!

Congrats on your win!

June 29, 2009 at 4:09 AM
Monroe Dawson said...

Cindy-
Ya its not that I didnt like the characters it just didnt all get summed up like it shouldve been...idk. lol

June 29, 2009 at 3:58 PM
Tracy said...

What I loved about this seris is that each book is different. Yes they all have Dark-Hunters in them but it's not the same ole thing. While I liked this one it definitely wasn't one of my favorites. If you're reading in order Zarek's book is next. So. damn.good! lol

July 2, 2009 at 4:29 PM
Monroe Dawson said...

Tracy-
YES! I am reading it very soon...at least by the end of next week I think! and ya I liked Talon and Sunshine a lot I guess this one just didn't really do it for me.

July 2, 2009 at 10:34 PM
Leontine said...

Your reading the Dark-Hunter series...they were my first love in vampire series ;D I can still see Talon in the hallway with nothing more than that small, pink towel and Ash and Kyrian walkin in...ah, the memories *grin*

July 6, 2009 at 4:32 AM
Monroe Dawson said...

Leontine-
I LOVE that part! lol My first Vamp love was Twilight (but you cant really compare Edward to these vamps) my second was Sookie Stackhouse now Dark Hunters! WOOHOO! LOVE THEM BOYS!

July 6, 2009 at 2:58 PM