Sunday, July 18, 2010

Blaze of Memory (Psy-Changelings, Book 7) - Nalini Singh

Blurb~
Dev Santos discovers her unconscious and battered, with no memory of who she is. All she knows is that she’s dangerous. Charged with protecting his people’s most vulnerable secrets, Dev is duty-bound to eliminate all threats. It’s a task he’s never hesitated to complete…until he finds himself drawn to a woman who might yet prove the enemy’s most insidious weapon.

Stripped of her memories by a shadowy oppressor, and programmed to carry out cold-blooded murder, Katya Haas is fighting desperately for her sanity itself. Her only hope is Dev. But how can she expect to gain the trust of a man who could very well be her next target? For in this game, one must die…

Nalini Singh...who could ask for more?!?!? Blaze of Memory is the 7th book in the Psy/Changeling Series and boy this woman does NOT let down ;)

Dev Santos is the head of the Shine Foundation. The foundation helps human kids that have a touch of Psy abilities. Dev works hard for these kids knowing what they are going through b/c he is one of them. At the foundation, Dev has no time for play or women...until one gets dropped off unconscious in his front yard.

Katya wakes up to Dev asking her questions she can't answer...even forgets who she is. Scared and alone Katya is very different from the Psy we've all met before. She seems not to mind feelings or touch as much as her fellow Psy. Although Katya is scared and frightened she is a strong woman wanting to fight against the dreaded Ming LeBon. LeBon has been torturing Katya and she fears she was sent to Dev for a certain purpose...what that purpose is...she can't remember. As feelings strengthen Katya's memories grow strong and she soon realizes she basically living out a death sentence. Knowing Katya can finish her mission and die at any second scares Dev! This turns into a race of time! Can Dev save Katya before she finishes out her mission that very well could be to bring down the Shine Foundation or even worse...kill Dev?

I loved this book! Like many Psy/Changeling books it jumps right in with the action and romance! Dev and Katya are such a special couple and I found myself rooting for them from start to finish! I read around and seen that some people didn't care for this couple but for me it was perfect! Dev isn't a changeling (and normally I prefer my hero's in this series to be) but boy is he just as fierce as any animal out there! He protect Katya and every cost! An this just didn't happen once they became more acquainted...it was from the start! =) I loved it!

And like all the other books in this series we go deeper into the world that is the Psy! I never find myself bored reading about Psy b/c they are ruthless killers that keep your attention! Ming LeBon is among one of the few I've wanted to get his and let me tell you...if you've been waiting for him to get his snotty butt kicked...well you wait no longer! Punk totally got served in this book! lol I was happy with the ending (even though some may object).

Lastly I have to say (once again) that I love how NS keeps you "part of the pack" by letting you back into the lives of all the past couples. I always love visiting my favs from past books and seeing where they are in their lives. Oh and I wont say b/c it would be a spoiler BUT for those of you that have read it...how about the surprise at the end...->highlight this spoiler-> I loved the kids bringing her back! I was totally excited b/c I feel like this is digging even deeper and opening doors for us to figure out new things with the Changelings and Psy that they weren't even aware of!

Over all this book was wonderful and I'm seriously counting down the days for the next drop of some Psy/Changeling goodness! ;)

Snippet~
“Tell me.”

She swallowed the blood on her tongue. “I’ve told you everything. You’ve taken everything.”

Eyes as black as night with a bare few flecks of white stared down at her as mental fingers spread in her mind, thrusting, clawing, destroying. She swallowed a scream, bit another line in her tongue.

“Yes,” her torturer said. “It does seem as if I’ve stripped you of all your secrets.”

She didn’t respond, didn’t relax. He’d done this before. So many times. But the next minute, the questions would begin again. She didn’t know what he wanted, didn’t know what he searched for. All she knew was that she’d broken. There was nothing left in her now. She was cracked, shattered, gone.

“Now,” he said, in that same, always-patient voice. “Tell me about the experiments.”

She opened her mouth and repeated what she’d already confessed over and over again. “We doctored the results.” He’d known that from the start; that was no betrayal. “We never gave you the actual data.”

“Tell me the truth. Tell me what you found.”

Those fingers gouged mercilessly at her brain, shooting red fire that threatened to obliterate her very self. She couldn’t hold on, couldn’t protect them, couldn’t even protect herself—because through it all he sat, a large black spider within her mind, watching, learning, knowing. In the end, he took her secrets, her honor, her loyalty, and when he was done, the only thing she remembered was the rich copper scent of blood.

I give this book a total of...





Photobucket

3 comments:

Mandi said...

Nalini Singh pretty much can't go wrong for me. I can't wait for Indigo's story this fall..I'm ready for some lusty changelings!!

July 19, 2010 at 5:13 AM
VampFanGirl said...

Monroe! Thanks girl! This was just the push I needed to highten my want for this book. The last two Singh books haven't grasped my attention and that's a definite first but the way you described Dev as being as much an animal as the Changelings has me very hopeful. Woot! Now I can't wait!

July 19, 2010 at 8:31 AM
Monroe Dawson said...

Mandi~
Hey sweetie! Oh I know NS is, no doubt, one of my absolute favs! You always win reading her books and reading Blaze of Memory was no exception! =)Counting down the days till Indigo's books! Epp!

VFG~
Hey baby girl! I'm glad I could push you into reading this book! Dev isn't a Changeling but let me tell you he is JUST as protective as any changeling male with his mate! ;) Dev was supper yummy and I hope you agree! ;)

July 19, 2010 at 8:43 AM