Thursday, July 16, 2009

North & South - Staring: Daniela Denby-Ashe & Richard Armitage

Description~

North & South
is a splendid, four-hour adaptation of Elizabeth Gaskell's 19th century novel about an unlikely, and somewhat star-crossed, love between a middle-class young woman from England's cultivated south and an intemperate if misunderstood industrialist in a hardscrabble, northern city. Daniela Denby-Ashe plays Margaret Hale, forthright and strong-willed daughter of a former vicar (Tim Pigott-Smith) who relocates his family from a pastoral village outside London to unforgiving, largely illiterate Milton, a factory town where John Thornton (Richard Armitage) and his mother (Sinead Cusack), survivors of poverty, rule their cotton mill with an iron hand. Thornton befriends Margaret's father but incurs her wrath for his severity with his workers. What she doesn't notice is Thornton's core sense of responsibility for his employees' welfare. On the other hand, he misinterprets some of Margaret's own actions and intentions. Equally stubborn, the two drag out their obvious attraction over many painful months and events.


So I never really knew about this movie until I gushed about Dreaming of You by by fav Lisa Kleypas! What would I do without you guys?!? Yall enlighten me to SO MANY THINGS! Kristie (J) with Ramblings on Romance Etcetera, Etcetera was the first chick to tell me about North and South then Cindy with Cindy Reads Romance was TOTALLY kind enough to send it my way so I could experience this wonderful piece of work! (BTW both of these ladies blogs are AWESOME so go check them out sistas!) lol

John Thornton and Margaret Hale are total opposites! John is totally transfixed with Margaret from the first time he sees her but she is turned off by his harsh actions. John is afraid to show his heart while Margaret is confused by her love/hate feelings for him. This situation sends both into a whirl wind chase...cat and mouse...LOVE IT!

One thing I loved about this movie is that Margaret is SO loving with everyone in her path. She opens her heart to the lower class even though everyone looks down upon them, she trys to be a mediator in the middle of a strike that's affecting their entire town, and above all she still knows John is good at heart even though he doesn't show it. Margaret has a heart of gold.

And John...man is he tough. The first time you meet I'm he beats the crap out of this guy for smoking in the plant! BUT it was b/c not too long ago he saw one burn to the ground...see most of his actions actually have reason behind it! lol Margaret just doesn't always see them. ;o)

Their love together isn't until the end...and I did wish you got to see more but when they did get together OH MAN...:*) It was the sweetest thing. I don't want to give the ending away because I really believe that it's something you need to watch yourself but I will tell you that it's such a wonderful love filled story that you will enjoy from beginning to end!

Thanks girls for letting me know about this movie and I do have to agree that John and Margaret would make a great Derek and Sara...absolutely the best!

I give this movie a total of...

22 comments:

~ames~ said...

Woot!

I'm going to rewatch it now. LOL

July 16, 2009 at 7:03 PM
Monroe Dawson said...

Ame-
Lol! Im gonna go buy it...and mail poor Cindys movie back...Im sure she misses it!

July 16, 2009 at 7:05 PM
Nicole McLaughlin said...

Ok, I'm now officially going to have to watch this. I literally just TODAY finished Dreaming of You based on your review. It wasn't a hard sale because I ADORE L.K. I absolutely loved it. But, i've never watched North and South. I will now HAVE to watch it. I'm sure it wont disappoint. For god sakes i just spent 30 minutes on YouTube listening to "cockney accent" videos!!!! Love your posts as always!

July 16, 2009 at 10:18 PM
Cindy W said...

Thanks Monroe and I'm so glad you enjoyed it!

July 17, 2009 at 4:51 AM
Kristie (J) said...

I'm not sure you are aware of this or not - but you have just become the newest Crusader! So a hearty welcome the The Crusaders!
Wasn't this just GRAND??? I cannot tell you how much I love this series and now I can't tell you how excited I am that you watched and loved it. Really! Reading your thoughts on it and how much you loved it too just made my day! It's everything a romance book made into a movie should be. Chemistry between hero/heroine in spades, tortured hero, wonderful heroine, believable conflict, GREAT secondary characters, wonderful plot and best of all, an HEA that will melt your heart.

July 17, 2009 at 6:20 AM
Rowena said...

Man, I need to get my ass in gear. Seriously.

July 17, 2009 at 9:38 AM
Monroe Dawson said...

Nicole-
Well I'm glad you got something out of this review! B/c really this is an amazing movie I KNOW youll love. How did you like Dreaming of You?

July 17, 2009 at 11:07 AM
Monroe Dawson said...

Cind-
No really thank you girl!

Kristie-
LOL Thanks for the warm welcome to the Crusaders! Glad to be a memeber!! ;o) Thanks for mentioning the movie!

Wena-
You really do girl! I don't think you'll be disapointed with what you see!

July 17, 2009 at 11:10 AM
VampFanGirl said...

I really, REALLY need to see this. I learned about it when Lea did her Best Kiss Contest and showed a clip from the movie. I seriously got chills. *sigh*

Thanks for the review!

;) VFG

July 17, 2009 at 1:27 PM
Kris said...

I LOVE this movie, it is awesome!!

July 17, 2009 at 2:36 PM
Monroe Dawson said...

VamgGrl-
You DO need to see this movie! And yes the ending kiss...is soooo sweet! :*)

Kris-
Isn't it?!?! :o)

July 17, 2009 at 2:38 PM
Cindy W said...

VFG- you can borrow my copy if you'd like!!! Just let me know, and yes, you gotta see it!

July 17, 2009 at 3:06 PM
Nicole McLaughlin said...

Ok, just watched it on Netflix. If you do Netflix you can watch it as an instant play on your computer! I absolutely loved it. And, I can totally see the connection with Dreaming of You. I wished I would have watched the show first so I could picture these two. Or....maybe i'll just read it again!! I loved the part where he was asking her to look back from the carriage. Ugh...so romantic.

July 17, 2009 at 5:50 PM
Nicole McLaughlin said...

Oh, and yes...I absolutely loved the book. There is just something about Lisa Kleypas. She has never let me down. And I'm not ashamed to say it....I've breastfed 3 babies....and that epilogue scene was the icing on the scoundrel flavored cake!! **GRIN** Feel free to think less of me now! LOL

July 17, 2009 at 5:52 PM
Kristie (J) said...

Nicole - glad you loved it. And should you to wish to become a Crusader - 'tis very easy. All you have to do is do a blog post on it. You see - word of mouth amongst other readers - romance and others - is what spreads great things and this is a great movie. And now I shall be watching and hoping to add you to the side bar!

July 17, 2009 at 8:15 PM
Monroe Dawson said...

Cindy-
BTW it went in the mail today...I bet you get it by like Monday! Thx again!

Nicole-
OMG Im so glad you loved it! And I think NO LESS of you girl! lol LK never has let me down either...I LOVE HER WORK!

July 17, 2009 at 9:13 PM
Nicole McLaughlin said...

Kristie....I'd love to be a crusader. I have a blog, but I'm a photographer. My clients are romantic too right?? I'll blog about it soon!! I've been trying to find some other fun things to post about. And I like your blog also!

July 17, 2009 at 10:30 PM
Kristie (J) said...

Nicole: And what a talented photographer you are!! I checked your site and those photographs are BEAUTIFUL!!!

July 19, 2009 at 7:24 PM
Cecile Smutty Hussy said...

Wow, wonderful review!!! And yes, Kristie J was the first to enlighten about the movie as well... please don't throw tomatoes my way either... I still have not watched it yet. I need to get it.. I never go to the movie store. I am bad. I promise I will watch it.. It will probably have to be during hunting season when hubby is gone for the weekend!

July 19, 2009 at 7:48 PM
Tia said...

Monroedle...when you buy this movie I totally wanna BORROW it! Maybe we can work out a lil' somethin' somethin' out purty lady. (wink) (((hugs)))

July 20, 2009 at 11:32 PM
Nicole McLaughlin said...

Kristie- Thank you, I really enjoy what I do!! And, my post is coming!!! I'll let you know! :)

July 21, 2009 at 12:45 PM
Monroe Dawson said...

Cecile-
Girl shame shame you better watch this movie ;o) Let me know what you think when you do!

Tia-
Will do babydoll!

July 21, 2009 at 2:31 PM